I am a PhD student at Warsaw School of Economics and a researcher at Institute for Structural Research. My interests lie in labor economics, political economy, and economic history.
- Firms and wage inequality in Central and Eastern Europe. - with Iga Magda (Warsaw School of Economics) and Simone Moriconi (IÉSEG). Accepted at the Journal of Comparative Economics. PDF. Replication package. Show abstract
We use large linked employer-employee data to analyze wage inequality patterns in Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries between 2002 and 2014. We show that, unlike in many other advanced economies, wage inequality levels have decreased in almost all CEE countries. These reductions in wage inequality resulted from disproportionately large increases in wages at the bottom of the wage distribution, and from decreases in between-firm wage inequality. We further find that the declines in wage inequality were driven by large wage structure effects that compensated for changes in the composition of workers.
Work in progress
- Labor supply effects of a universal cash transfer. [draft available soon!] Show abstract
The unconditional cash transfers in the form of a universal basic income, a universal basic pension or a universal child benefit are increasingly being discussed in many countries. In this article, I investigate the labor supply effects of the introduction of a large unconditional cash benefit. I exploit the unique design of the child benefit program in Poland to identify the pure income effect of the transfer. The labor supply responses, which can be attributed to the pure income effect, were statistically insignificant and negligible. Instead of extending their free time, households substantially increased their consumption.
- Minorities and their external protective powers. - with Kai Gehring (University of Zurich)
- Inequalities and ethnic conflict. - with Paweł Bukowski (LSE) and Filip Novokmet (University of Bonn and Paris School of Economics)
- #IamLGBT: Social networks and coming out in a hostile environment. - with Przemysław Siemaszko (Warsaw School of Economics)